After pivoting to a first-ever winter cruise season in the Mediterranean this year, Windstar Cruises has announced its intent to keep Star Legend sailing in the region for another winter season, providing guests with the opportunity to explore Europe and the Mediterranean’s allure year-round.
Positive feedback and an influx of bookings and demand have led the luxury small ship cruise line to enhance its winter Mediterranean deployment with new itineraries and opportunities to book longer voyages in 2024/2025.
“On our inaugural sailing in December, every single travel advisor and guest on board told me ‘this is genius’ as we enjoyed the sunny weather of Europe’s most walkable cities at a time when few cruise lines sail Europe’s oceans,” explains Windstar’s Chief Commercial Officer Janet Bava.
“Our biggest learning from this winter’s season was that we were limited by the possibilities and experiences we could offer with just the one itinerary – from Rome to Barcelona and the reverse – and we have responded to that with a variety of new itineraries for our guests to enjoy the Mediterranean’s most storied destinations in the winter.”
Prompted by positive feedback from the inaugural sailings, including the desire for more overnight stays, Windstar will now offer five itineraries in the Mediterranean for the 2025 season, plus three special holiday and event sailings.
The expansion also allows guests to combine back-to-back itineraries, providing a unique opportunity to experience different destinations while unpacking just once.
New Itinerary Highlights for 2024/2025
- Winter Italy & the Dalmatian Coast will set sail on five dates in 2024/25. The eight-day itinerary sails from Rome with stops in Naples, Taormina (Sicily), an overnight in Dubrovnik (Croatia), a full day in Zadar (Croatia), before ending with an overnight in Venice. The route and timing, particularly the beginning of January, will take advantage of Italy’s strict rules surrounding retail sales (with just winter and summer sales allowed and items up to 70% off).
- Europe Winter Riviera will have eight departure dates on a seven-day cruise. From Rome, guests will sail to Livorno (Italy) for an overnight stay, followed by a day in Genoa and then Nice, before ending with an overnight in Barcelona.
- Winter in Italy and the Adriatic, an eight-day cruise,will take place on just one sail date. Leaving from Athens, the yacht will sail through the tiny Corinth Canal to Itea (Delphi) before overnighting in Corfu. Then it’s off to Crotone followed by an overnight in Taormina before a day in Naples, ending the journey in Rome.
- Southern Spain Winter Escapes will be a nine-day round-trip sailing from Barcelona offered on four departure dates. Starting with an overnight in Barcelona means plenty of time to explore the city centre before sailing to Valencia, Cartagena, Malaga (for an overnight), Gibraltar and Palma before returning to Barcelona. Guests will easily be able to hop on the high speed train to/from Madrid in order to extend their explorations inland either pre- or post-cruise.
- Winter in Croatia & Greece departs 26th March 2025for an eight-day sailing from Venice to Athens. An overnight in Venice lets guests explore the historic city from the ship’s convenient city dock location. Port calls include Koper, Zadar, Dubrovnik, Kotor, Delphi and a transit of the scenic, narrow Corinth Canal.
Special Holiday and Event Sailings:
- A Christmas holiday cruise will sail from Rome to Barcelona form 23rd to 30th December 2024. It includes an overnight in Livorno for the opportunity to attend Christmas Eve mass at the Duomo followed by stops in Genoa and Nice before ending in Barcelona with an overnight stay. Festive decorations, traditional dishes and activities bring the holiday spirit on board the ship.
- A New Year cruise sails roundtrip from Barcelona from 30th December 2024 to 8th January 2025. New Year’s Eve itself is an overnight in Palma, one of Europe’s ultimate party meccas for an epic celebration. Then it’s onto Cartagena, an overnight in Malaga, followed by stops in Gibraltar and Valencia, before returning to Barcelona.
Additionally, Star Legend will return for a special appearance at the International Luxury Travel Market Cannes travel expo, which takes place in December 2024.
The ship will sail from Rome to Barcelona from 30th November to 7th December 2024. It includes stops in Livorno, Genoa, Cannes (overnight) and Barcelona (also an overnight).
Ship visits will be available in Cannes for conference attendees.
Find more details on Windstar’s Mediterranean cruises.
Source: Kate Selley PR
Images: © 2024 Windstar Cruises. All rights reserved.